California needs your support!
While Measure A passed resoundingly last Fall, the County’s parks needs assessment identified $21 billion in need for new parks, open space, maintenance, and amenities for communities. Measure A alone will not help us close this gap, although it is a strong step in the right direction.
There are currently three potential funding sources in the works that will help meet local parks and open space need. A 2018 California State Park Bond, an urban forestry funding and policy bill, and a water resiliency program and funding mechanism. There are three associated support letters that can be found at the links below, along with forms if you would like to sign on as a signatory.
#OurParks Support for a California Park Bond (SB5):
- Link to #OurParks Park Bond sign-on letter
- Addressed to California State Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee
- Support for a California State Park Bond to fund parks and open space
- TIME SENSITIVE! Please sign-on and send in your logos by end of day Friday, March 3, 2017
Urban Forestry Funding sign-on letter:
- Link to Urban Forestry Funding sign-on letter
- Addressed to Assembly Member Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher (D-San Diego), who introduced Assembly Bill 1530
- Supports a bill that provides important augmentations and enhancements to the Urban Forestry Act of 1978, including language to better support maintenance of our existing trees as well as more focus on stormwater management, workforce development, and social equity.
Water Resiliency sign on letter:
- Link to Water Resiliency sign-on letter
- Addressed to LA County Board of Supervisors
- Support for adequate and clean water for our region, and urges transparency, stakeholder engagement, and multiple-benefit projects
The #OurParks Coalition
Save the date
We’re currently planning a Sacramento Lobby Day to urge legislators’ support of a 2018 Park Bond. This day will take place on March 22, 2017. If you’re interested in participating, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information will be forthcoming.